Sunday, January 29, 2006

Being

The famous philosopher Descartes said "Cogito ergo sum"... I think, therefore I am. But this concept of being plays by the rules of what we think existence is. We have our own preception of reality as individuals but as a collective we understand things by association and memory that is caused by sensations and reactions caused by our surroundings. So what does this tell us about the concept of existence? The dictum "Cogito ergo sum" may explain to the human race one form of the concept, but the idea of being delves much deeper. The dictum can also be said as "Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum"... I think that I think, therefore I am. We as humans understand very little of the vast plains of life.

What if a human being was born blind and deaf? What would their concept of being and existence be? Born into a world not having sight or sound changes the perception of what something can be. We associate existence with memory; sights, sound, and touch. To be numb of the senses and sensations would that still constitute as someone to exist? Do they think? If so how do they think? If not then do they exist? Do emotions still play a role when someone, a human being, does not think? If emotions play a role are they what determines our existence? We cant use words to express how we feel only to point.

So many questions but the answer lies within each one. This equation has no solution but only variables. Do we as humans and our ideas determine what goes in these variables or do they fill themselves but we simply do not understand how the equation is to be solved.


Do we really exist or do we just think we do?

No comments: